Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Rant: Things You Should Never Say to a Pregnant Woman

Over the past 28 (almost) weeks I have had a lot of compliments and even some direct and indirect insults...here are some things that I wish people would have just kept to themselves and subjects that probably should be avoided when trying to keep me from getting all emotional and weight/look conscious on you:
  • "You look great! The only way I can tell you are pregnant is by your stomach and your chubby cheeks!"
  • Discussions about someone you know and their horrible/scary/tragic pregnancy story
  • (This comment came completely unprovoked, and out of the blue) "You look great! You're supposed to look like this when you're pregnant" .:squeezes my cheeks:.
  • Comments regarding anything regarding my size or weight unless it is positive. Talking about my chubby cheeks and cankles can NEVER be turned into a compliment....no matter how hard you try.
  • "You're so big! You're going to have a HUGE baby!"
  • Unless it's relating to something that may be too big for me, no sentence should EVER start with, "This probably won't fit you...."
  • "You're still in a size small?! Well you won't be for long."
  • (Said by Tim, I took it in the wrong context, but still...) "Maybe it's because of all of the extra weight."
  • "You're pregnant?! That didn't take long!"
  • Discussions regarding what a horrible time your friend/yourself/your mom/your dog/a stranger had losing the "baby weight"...let's have the baby before you start worrying me with things like this please.
Anyway, I've been feeling really fat and gross lately...with the onset of water retention and fat face syndrome, comments other than "You look pretty/great/awesome/beautiful" (which Tim tells me multiple times a day) are really starting to weigh heavily on my mind.

These comments mainly came from acquaintances that I rarely see, whose opinions shouldn't matter so I am making this plea as a general Public Service Announcement for pregnant women everywhere...PLEASE BE NICE TO US, WE'RE SENSITIVE AND SELF-CONSCIOUS!

.:Stepping down off of my soapbox:.

2 comments:

  1. A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years and in your heart till the day you die.
    --Mary Mason

    A mother's joy begins when new life is stirring inside... when a tiny heartbeat is heard for the very first time, and a playful kick reminds her that she is never alone.
    --Author Unknown

    Before you were conceived I wanted youBefore you were born I loved youBefore you were here an hour I would die for youThis is the miracle of Mother's Love.
    --Maureen Hawkins

    Everything grows rounder and wider and weirder, and I sit here in the middle of it all and wonder who in the world you will turn out to be.
    --Carrie Fisher

    Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch.
    --E.B. White, Charlotte's Web

    There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it.
    --Irena Chalmers

    Life is tough enough without having someone kick you from the inside.
    --Rita Rudner

    You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment.
    --Dave Barry, "Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn"

    People are giving birth underwater now. They say it's less traumatic for the baby because it's in water. But certainly more traumatic for the other people in the pool.
    --Elayne Boosler

    Your boobs've gone up 10 times in size, Your cups've gone up from an A to D, That's bad for you, but it's fun for me ... I ain't no baddie, I am your baby's daddy.
    --Chris Martin of Coldplay, sung to pregnant wife Gwyneth Paltrow

    When I was pregnant ... I was a woman. No deadlines or curtains to meet. Whenever I thought of what was growing inside me [I felt that it was] a miracle, the height of creativity for any woman.
    --Barbra Streisand

    To be pregnant has been for me each time the supreme joy ... I was doing the greatest thing in the world without having to do anything -- all I had to do was be.
    --Gloria Vanderbilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky that at least your husband is telling you you look nice. Mine has told he that I should start wearing baggy clothing as you can begin to see I am pregnant and it is very unattractive. Nice - thank you!!

    I told him he should be telling me I look gorgeous not unattractive - he said how could he say that to somebody with a huge gut! Uhmmm, have you looked in the mirror lately.

    ReplyDelete